→ Participate in the social media campaign and follow @FreedomAlexSaab on Twitter
Statement from Oscar López Rivera:
Imprisoned Venezuelan Diplomat Contests Extraterritorial Judicial Abuse
- Imprisoned Venezuelan Diplomat Contests Extraterritorial Judicial Abuse
- Smith, World police: Washington seeks to imprison foreign businesspeople for violating illegal US sanctions, 3/27/21. In violation of international law, the US is seeking to extradite and imprison foreign businesspeople for circumventing its unilateral sanctions. Washington’s targets include Venezuelan national Alex Saab, North Korean Mun Chol Myong, and Chinese Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.
- Harris, US trying to extradite Venezuelan diplomat for the “crime” of securing food for the hungry: the case of Alex Saab v. the Empire, 5/22/21. The case of Alex Saab raises dangerous precedents in terms of extraterritorial judicial abuse, violation of diplomatic status, and even the use of torture to extract false confessions.
- Últimas Noticias, Prosecution of Alex Saab unjust, illegal & indefensible, 7/1/21. José António Dos Reis, former minister in Cape Verde, harshly criticized the judicial authorities of Cape Verde for the illegal detention and abduction of the Venezuelan diplomat Alex Saab.
- Flounders and Harris, The case of Alex Saab – US abduction of Venezuelan diplomat, a global challenge, 7/12/21. An emergency human rights delegation organized by the International Campaign to Free Alex Saab was quickly dispatched to Cabo Verde, where he is imprisoned. The kidnapping of Alex Saab is a dramatic and far-reaching effort to enforce the illegal US-decreed policy of economic sanctions.
- Emersberger, Saab Case Shows Western Media’s Casual Acceptance of US Atrocities, 7/21/21. Western corporate media have been frank about the fact that Saab was targeted for helping Venezuela get around US sanctions. These sanctions have been directly linked to tens of thousands of Venezuelan deaths since 2017. Articles about Saab’s case have ignored that the sanctions are illegal under both US and international law.
- RedRadioVE, Cape Verde admits Alex Saab’s arrest warrant was in someone else’s name (kidnapping), 7/22/21. Saab’s defense pointed out the absence of the arrest warrant, both in its refutation of the extradition request and in its appeal before the Constitutional Court.
- Saab, Ambassador Alex Saab letter to the Venezuelan people: “No Retreat, No Surrender 8/19/21. In a letter to the Venezuelan people, Alex Saab reiterates his call for justice on the eve of his case hearing, August 13, 2021.
- Pintado, El caso contra Alex Saab en Cabo Verde: “Quieren Llevar una Gerra Contra Venezuela” 8/24/21
- Saab, Alex Saab Assures that Venezuela Will Win this Battle 8/25/21. Saab’s words following delay in Constitutional Court ruling.
- Harris, Venezuelan Diplomat Alex Saab Fights Latest US Extradition Maneuvers 8/26/21. Roger Harris of Task Force on the Americas gives overview on Saab case.
- News18, Cape Verde Court OKs Extradition to US of Venezuelan Ally 9/8/21. Cape Verde constitutional court unanimously votes to extradite Saab to the US to face charges of money laundering.
- Saab Legal Team, Alex Saab Defense Team Confident of Winning his Release 9/17/2021. The legal team for kidnapped Venezuelan diplomat Alex Saab released the following statement Sept. 14.
- Philpot, Alex Saab, Extradition and Good Governance. Comprehensive legal report presented to the African Bar Conference, October 3-7, 2021
- US Illegally Extradites Venezuelan Diplomat from Cabo Verde to the US 10/19/21 Statement from the Free Alex Saab Committee
- Philpot, Short interim report of the Alex Saab campaign attendance at the Annual African Bar Association, 10/2021
- Falana, Alex Saab Case: Mapping the US’ Main Violations in International Law (version en espanol aqui) Analysis of implications in arrest of diplomats, 11/2/2021
- Orinoco Tribune, Piedad Cordoba to Sue Ecuadorian Politician – DEA Offered her $10 Million to Testify Against Alex Saab, 1/11/22
For a comprehensive list of articles and reference materials on the Alex Saab case, click here.
Please add your support for freedom for Alex Saab. Urge others to support this campaign and to spread Alex Saab’s words of resolute resistance to U.S. demands.
Tens of thousands of people in the U.S. and internationally have called on the U.S. government to release this Venezuelan diplomat.
- CPI at the Puerto Rican Parade (June, 2022)
- Free Alex Saab Campaign in Chicago ‘Puerto Rico People’s Parade’ (June, 2022)
- Does Alex Saab Have a Family? (June, 2022)
- Free Alex Saab Movement Present at Tijuana Workers’ Summit (June, 2022)
- New Revelations of Former Secretary of Defense Confirm Illegality of the Extradition of Alex Saab (June, 2022)
- Alex Saab is a Symbol of Resistance Against Imperialism (June, 2022)
- Cape Verde: Ullises Correia Admits Kidnapping of Alex Saab was an Exchange for Cooperative Security (May, 2022)
- Georgia Court Postpones Decision on Diplomatic Immunity for Alex Saab (May, 2022)
- US’s Flaunting of Diplomatic Immunity Challenged in Court (April, 2022)
- Imprisoned Venezuelan Diplomat Contests Extraterritorial Judicial Abuse (April, 2022)
- Transcript of April 6 Court Hearing on Alex Saab’s Diplomatic Immunity (April, 2022)
- US Hearing to Prove Alex Saab’s Diplomatic Immunity Ends (April, 2022)
- Jorge Rodriguez: Alex Saab Helped Circumvent the Most Brutal Attack the Country Suffered (April, 2022)
- Alex Saab’s Lawyers Demand US Courts Uphold Diplomatic Immunity (April, 2022)
- Cape Verde’s Actions Against Alex Saab are a Stain on Africa (April, 2022)
- In Carabobo, Venezuela, They Raised Their Voices for the Freedom of Alex Saab (March, 2022)
- The Network of Intellectuals, Artists and Social Movements in Defense of Humanity Condemns the Kidnapping of Venezuelan Diplomat Alex Saab (March, 2022)
- ‘It Can’t Be Illigal to Help a People’ — The Persecution of Alex Saab (Feb, 2022)
- Venezuela Pulls Plug on Lie that Alex Saab is DEA “Informer” (Feb 17, 2022)
- National Lawyers Guild International Calls for the Immediate Release of Venezuelan Diplomat Alex Saab (Feb 16, 2022)
- Alex Saab is Being Tortured in the US, Denounces Diplomat’s Wife Camila ( +Oscar Lopez Rivera) (Feb 6, 2022)
- COHA Calls for the Release of Venezuelan Diplomat Alex Saab Based on International and US Laws (Feb 1, 2022)
- Movimientos Sociales del Mundo Reiteran Solidaridad con el Diplomatico Alex Saab (Jan 16, 2022)
- Defense de Alex Saab Denuncio Falsedad del Dossier ecuatoriano (Jan 12, 2022)
- Colombia and Ecuador Join the Lawfare Campaign Against Alex Saab (Jan 8, 2022)
- Do you want Dialogue? Immediately Release Alex Saab (Jan 6, 2022)
- Aplazan Audiencia del Diplomatico Alex Saab en Miami por Pandemia (Jan 4, 2022)
- Human Rights Group Stands in Solidarity With the Case of Alex Saab (Dec 13, 2021)
- Camila Saab Speaks Out: Wife of Venezuelan “Kidnapped” (Dec 2, 2021)
- US ‘Key Witness’ Benefited After Accusing Alex Saab (Nov 17, 2021)
- Alex Saab Pleads Not Guilty Before Biami Federal Court (Nov 15, 2021)
- Credibility of Key Witnesses Against Alex Saab Collapses, Defense Alleges (Nov 13, 2021)
- Court Filings: Maduro Ally Met With US Prior to Arrest (Nov 10, 2021)
- In the Filven, the Book ‘Letters From Alex Saab Since His Kidnapping’ was Baptized (Nov 4, 2021)
- Document Reveals that the US Kidnapped a Recognized Diplomat in Cabo Verde Saab Case (Oct 31, 2021)
- Miami Defenders of Twice U.S. Kidnapped Venezuelan Ambassador, Alex Saab, Rally for His Release (Oct 25, 2021)
- Alex Saab’s Human Rights Have Been Violated: Camila Fabri (Oct 21, 2021)
- US Peace Council Strongly Condemns the Illegal “Extradition” of Venezuelan Diplomat Alex Saab (Oct 19, 2021)
- Demonstrations in New York Against Alex Saab Abduction (Oct 19, 2021)
- Alex Saab’s Wife, Camila Fabri, Responds to Colombia’s Semana Magazine (Oct 19, 2021)
- Saab’s Lawyers Statement: Good Luck, Cape Verde, You Will Need It (Oct 19, 2021)
- The U.S. Flies Alex Saab Out From Cabo Verde Without Court Order or Extradition Treaty (Oct 18, 2021)
- Campaign for Release of Venezuelan Diplomat Intensifies (Oct 18, 2021)
- Defense Rejects and Calls ‘Illegal’ Extradition of Alex Saab to the US (Oct 17, 2021)
- African Bar Association Condemns Non-Compliance by Member States of Decision of Ecowas Court (Oct 7, 2021)
- Lack of Evidence Against Alex Saab Reveals US Political Motivation (Oct 5, 2021)
- African Bar Association Demands an End to the Violation of Court Orders in Respect to the Case on Alex Saab (Oct 2, 2021)
- Moneyman for Venezuela–Accused of Looting Billions–Nears Extradition to the US (Oct 1, 2021)
- Alex Saab Defense Team is Urging for Medical Care (Sept 30, 2021)
- Declaration of the Venezuela Peace and Solidarity Committee of Vancouver (Sept 28, 2021)
- Reason to Celebrate: Meng Wanzhou Released! (Sept 27, 2021)
- Government Delegation Arrived in Mexico for the Dialogue Table (Sept 25, 2021)
- Alex Saab Defence Denounces ‘Ill Informed and Ignorant’ Speculation Regarding the Legal Process in Cape Verde (Sept 24, 2021)
- Alex Saab Kidnapping Meant to Stop Food Purchases: Maduro (Sept 23, 2021)
- Alena Douhan Reiterates that Diplomat Alex Saab Must be Released (Sept 22, 2021)
- Venezuela Incorporates Alex Saab into the Mexican Dialogue (Sept 14, 2021)
- Alex Saab Defensee Team Confident of Achieving his Release (Sept 14, 2021)
- Garzon describes the decision on the Alex Saab as legal barbarism (Sept 13, 2021)
- Statement on behalf of Alex Saab Defense Team (Sept 8, 2021)
- The Limits of US Power: Alex Saab, Afghanistan and Venezuela (Aug 27, 2021)
- U.S. Department of Justice’s Anterior Motives Getting Clearer with Every Delay (August 27, 2021)
- Alex Saab Assures that Venezuela Will Win this Battle (August 25,2021)
- Russian Foreign Ministry statement on the case of Alex Saab (August 19, 2021)
- Ambassador Alex Saab letter to the Venezuelan People: No Retreat, No Surrender” (August 19, 2021)
- Iran Labels Alex Saab a Prisoner of War (August 17, 2021)
- Venezuelan Envoy’s Defense Team ‘Confident’ W. African Court Will Block Extradition to US (August 13, 2021)
- Russia Knocks US Over Planned ‘Illegal’ Extradition of Alex Saab (August 12, 2021)
- Cape Verde Officials Violated Rights of Venezuelan Diplomat (August 11, 2021)
- August 10 Webinar: Free Kidnapped Venezuelan Diplomat Alex Saab. REGISTER HERE (August 10, 2021)
- Saab Case Shows Western Media’s Casual Acceptance of US Atrocities (July 21, 2021)
- Statement by the American Association of Jurists on the illegal detention of Alex Saab (July 10, 2021)
- International Campaign Grows to Free Alex Saab (Workers World, July 7, 2021)
- United States Bribes Cape Verde $440 Million in Exchange for Alex Saab’s Extradition (Orinoco Tribune, July 6, 2021)
- Dan Kovalik, abogado de DDHH: Alex Saab es perseguido por hacer trabajo humanitario en Venezuela (+VIDEO)
- Dan Kovalik, Lawyer & Human Rights Specialist: Alex Saab Case Exposes Lawlessness of the United States (Orinoco Tribune, July 2, 2021)
- Prosecution Against Alex Saab is Unfair, Illegal and Unsustainable (Ultimas Noticias, July 1, 2021)
- Biden Administration with ‘Solid Case’ Expect Cape Verde to Decide Soon on Alex Saab’s Illegal Detention (Orinoco Tribune, July 1, 2021)
- [VIDEO] Alex Saab, GITMO & US Detention Programs – Caleb Maupin speaks with Nancy Hollander (July 1, 2021)