Subscribe to AfGJ’s Colombia email list-serve by sending a blank email to email@example.com
AFGJ Colombia work is centered around three things:
1) international solidarity with the people of Colombia and changing North American policies that threaten Colombia’s peace, justice, sustainability and sovereignty;
2) Solidarity with FENSUAGRO (the National Unitary Federation of Agricultural Unions) and other labor unions that are targeted for repression because of US policies and transnational corporate activities;
3) Political prisoner support via our relationships with Lazos de Dignidad and other political prisoner solidarity organizations.
If you have any questions or suggestions about AfGJ’s Colombia solidarity work, please send an email to James@AFGJ.org or call us at 202-540-8336, extension 3.
ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE IN COLOMBIA!
- Sign the Petition demanding humane conditions at La Tramacúa penitentiary, built with US funding on a US model of mass incarceration.
- Please DONATE to support AfGJ’s Colombia solidarity work. Follow this link and be sure and type COLOMBIA in the blank space marked “Designation code”. Alternatively, you can send an email to James@afgj.org informing us about your Colombia solidarity donation.
COLOMBIA-RELATED VIDEOS AND AUDIO FILES
Watch this video of the play Beyond the Walls, a play based on writings collected (and contributed to) by Liliany Obando while she was a political prisoner at the Buen Pastor Womens Prison in Bogotá. The script was developed by AfGJ’s James Jordan in collaboration with Lazos de Dignidad and the International Network in Solidarity with the Political Prisoners. The play was directed by Frida Espinosa Cárdenas. Versions of the play are available from AfGJ in both English and the original Spanish.
This is a video by Dan Gordon which was put together after our 2013 delegation to Colombia. It deals Colombian political prisoners. We are happy to say that thousands of political prisoners and prisoners of war are being released as a result of the peace accords that went into effect at the end of November, 2016. Nevertheless, many political prisoners that are not covered in the accords continue to languish in US funded, advised and accredited prisons, and we continue to receive reports of yet new politically motivated arrests.
RESOURCES FOR COLOMBIA SOLIDARITY
by Alice Loaiza, California Chapter of the Marcha Patriótica WHY THE US WON’T SUPPORT PEACE IN COLOMBIA 1. The US has never supported peace in Colombia starting with Plan Lazo and the counterinsurgency team sent to Colombia by the US to crush Marquetalia and the intervention of Brigadier General Yarborough who visited Colombia in…
In English Queridas hermanos y camaradas: Es con una tristeza profunda que les escribimos para ofrecer nuestras condolencias por las víctimas de los recientes ataques contra sus organizaciones y contra todo el proceso de paz. Hemos sabido que 72 defensores de derechos laborales y humanos, activistas por la paz, dirigentes indígenas y ambientalistas han sido…
En español Dear Sisters, Brothers, Friends and Comrades, It is with deep sorrow that we write to express our condolences for the recent assaults against your organizations and against the entire process for peace. We have learned that 72 human and labor rights defenders, peace activists, indigenous leaders and environmentalists were assassinated in 2016 alone.…